Monday 16 March 2015

Why Can't Anyone Sit Still Anymore?

Hello everyone,


So today I'll be talking about films, like I should. However, I warn you, it's not the usual film review and whatnots. I'm talking about film screenings in school or university. You see, as a film student you get the "occasional" film screening, if it's anything to do with the subjects we're learning about. Now, you'd expect that by now, being in university, students would be clever enough to stay still, and watch, take notes and whatever it is we do in screenings...
You get where I'm getting at right? WHY CAN'T PEOPLE SIT STILL! I get it right now I'm not...I'm writing this post, because we're screening The Thin Blue Line (1988), and admittedly, I didn't prepare for this lecture/seminar/screening, but most of the time I do take pages of notes, as I'm watching. However it's a chore having to do so, because of the noise that surrounds me!

I've had to endure long hours of whisperings, jolting of my seats because people constantly have to move! Ok yes, we're studying a production degree, which is a practical degree, but we have a theoretical aspect to it - the academic module - where you MUST sit still, listen, watch and participate when we do discuss the film. I guess it's about how people learn in the end. Some like using their hands, others like to sit still and listen. Me? I've yet to establish mine. I can do a bit of both, and you can tell if you've been to any of my seminars, I'm usually the one talking with the lecturer, I'm the one that takes the notes during the screening, and I'm the one that has to pretty much grate on my classmates' nerves by going "sshh" during the screening.
 quiet
I think, maybe it's time we had a technology boycott. In my week away from Facebook, I realised, I managed to sit still for a little while without being distracted. In fact, now that I'm able to return to Facebook, I miss those little moments. They were like breaths of fresh air. I felt calmer, I felt more at peace, I felt like I was closer to God. I think it's time I took a page out of the book I'm reading, Rediscovering Catholicism by Matthew Kelly (2002), I need to take some time in that Classroom of Silence, and basically reconnect with my soul. Perhaps you should too. I'll give you a quote, it best explains why:

"If I asked you to go out and find some suitable candidate to be prophets and leaders in the modern world, where would you look? Would you ask yourself, where can I find myself some shepherds? The most common profession amongst the prophets and leaders of the Old Testament was shepherding. Why do you suppose God called so many shepherds to occupy positions of authority and influence? Perhaps it was because they were out in the middle of God's cosmic temple all day, and in the middle of God's cosmic Classroom of Silence they had plenty of time to think, reflect, ponder and listen to the voice of God in their lives."

silence_by_schillesfly-d4yovyg
That's it for now, this is FeatherCharm, signing off. As always, do with this post what you will, and I'll see you soon. God Bless!
Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment