Monday 9 March 2015

Fighting Temptation and Learning From Sacrifice

Hi guys, so this week, I'm going to not be on Facebook (for leisure). This is purely so I can learn to not be dependent on social media, especially Facebook. I turn to it too much and I need to stop. Hopefully after this I can learn to do without my games. The reason for this "sacrifice" is so I can understand the true meaning of Lent.

It's been a while since I've had a religious experience. The last I remember was back in 2012/2013. I miss them, and although they may not return to me, I feel like, if I try to keep the hope alive, I'll be able to experience something similar. I've been inspired recently, to return to the roots of my faith, and I realise, it's easier than I thought it would be. Yes I do have that temptation to not try at all, but in the book I'm reading, Rediscovering Catholicism, by Matthew Kelly (2002), I've realised one thing. If I want to get something done, I have to be disciplined, and keep going. You see, this book has inspired me in the past, and admittedly it's what got me through my GCSE RE (Religious Education) exam, and it's inspiring me again. I want to return to my faith. I've seen what it's like when I don't live with it, and simply say I do.

Last year was the darkest of my life, perhaps not in terms of the things I've done, but in my emotions. I had been at my lowest more times than I had been in the past, and I really don't want that again. What was my lowest? Well, remember my depressed posts? That was an example of one. During the summer I'd been through something similar, and it was not the greatest summer, despite the fact I'd been to Cancun and Florida. This is why I cannot stop trying to return to my roots. If I remember my belief, and remind myself why I'm Catholic, I will always remember the beauty I saw in the world that I live.

Yes, I know there are many of you who don't care, and who won't care. So my question to you, why are you reading this? If you don't like what I say, don't read on. If you don't agree, I understand, but don't try to convince me. Do I look like I'm forcing my convictions on you? No, I'm only telling you what I believe in.

I know that the efficacy of telling is low, which is why I will try to show you. Perhaps not on here, but maybe in my life. There may be some of you who actually know me and read this, and thus I will show you with my life, I know in the past I have made mistakes, but I will try my best to learn from the. As for those who don't know me, I will try my best to show you, here. Sometimes quotes from the book, or the bible, or other sorts of media that I find, with a meaningful quote. Other times, with stories of my own, and much of the time with updates on my novel.

My novel is not exactly based on my faith, in fact it's more politically and socially aware than religiously, but that's what I'll start with. However, I hope that one day my readers will see my belief embedded into it. I will not say my religion will be present, because religion is the wrong word. This word: religion, it repels many of you. I know, it's because it used to repel me. So instead, I will say belief, lifestyle, because this is much easier to chew than religion.

So let's start off this week with the quote that will be my mantra for the coming week:

"There are four major aspects of the human person - physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual. When we eat well, exercise often, and sleep regularly, we feel more fully alive physically. When we love, when we give priority to the significant relationships of our lives, when we give of ourselves to help others in their journey, we feel more fully alive emotionally. When we study, we feel more alive intellectually. When we come before god in prayer, openly and honestly, we experience life more fully spiritually. All of these life-giving endeavours require discipline. When we are most fully alive? When we embrace a life of discipline. The human person thrives on discipline." - Matthew Kelly (2002)

No comments:

Post a Comment